[nabs-l] Philosophical Homogeneity

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 00:44:09 UTC 2012

Arielle, Jedi and all,
  I've taken the liberty to do a bit more research, and I'm torn.  On
the one hand, I absolutely respect the work done by the Federation;
it's necessary, it's important and, within the xontext of the rest of
my life, I want to be involved.  (I've seen people whose lives almost
become the Federation and I sure as hell don't want that!)
Furthermore, I have no current qualms with NFB policy large enough for
me to be compelled to publicly speak out against the organization.
But it's possible, and I don't want to be in the position where I feel
like I'm voilating a virtual contract of membership by speaking my
mind.
  Some people have told me that, if I'm so committed to the principal
of speaking my mind, whenever I feel inspired to do so, I oughtn't
join the organization because, should I choose to stay actively
involved as a member, my freedom to raise my voice could be impeded.
I see their point.  Still, others tell me that I shouldn't worry about
hypotheticals and only deal with that moral dilemma if it turns in to
a real issue.  As I said, right now, there are no policies of the
organization that I disagree with enough to publicly oppose but it
could happen.  I'm wondering if I should just worry about that only if
I need to and devote myself to the problems at hand right now?  I'd
just hate to put myself in the situation where, years down, I might
have to walk away from the NFB  or possibly resign from a leadership
position if the organization's policies compell me to do so.
Thoughts, anyone?
  Best,
Kirt