[nabs-l] academic status

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 25 00:53:30 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I’m responding to what Desiree said here. It will clear up confusion for those who wondered about the term or got scared of it.
Schools have performance standards. Such standards are based on your Grade point average, GPA.
The deans list is for the top students; at community college deans list means students who get a 3.5 or over taking at least 6 credits.

On the opposite side is academic probation if you do not do well a few semesters.
Desiree said:
“I never heard of academic probation in my life until reading
this thread, but it sure sounds scary. Sounds like the shady side of
the law, or if not that, a sure way to fail every job interview as
well. “

Hi, actually, its not too bad; as long as you get off it. Basically it means you fell below a certain GPA; schools vary what this is. I think for my school, Marymount university, it was 2.0. What happens is you’re given a warning and you have to raise your GPA within two semesters. That is all. It basically means you need to  improve and it’s a trial period. I do not think its on your transcript; only way anyone knows is if they get your file from them. True, some employers request transcripts, but I don’t think it says academic probation, just your grades for every class. Although I might clarify that to see that I’m giving  correct info.

Most students can get off academic probation by studying more, going to classes regularly and getting extra help such as tutoring. But even if you drop out or get thrown out of school, you can go back to school in a year by reapplying. Academic probation has nothing to do with the police and only way I can see it comprimising a job or interview, is if the employer looked at every grade and class you took seeing where you got Ds and Fs.
Most employers though want to  see you got a diploma, when you got it, and when. They don’t want to know the specifics.
So, an employer will never know the terrible grade I got in ethics. Yes I got some bad grades because it was too hard for me. But I did get a diploma and that is what I can state on my  resume and job interviews.

Okay, just wanted to clear this up so no one has misinformation what academic status is.

Ashley