[nabs-l] Goodwill Boycott

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Sat Jun 9 23:13:49 UTC 2012

Arielle, Gabe, and all:

I like the point that you've made about the decentralized wage policies and rewarding good locations, but do you think that perhaps a benefit to boycotting universally would be a possibility that Goodwill Industries would create a centralized (universal) policy that all locations must pay their workers fair wages?

I feel like the end result that we want is for Goodwill Industries to adopt a universal standard of paying all workers fair wages, and the approach that you all have mentioned seems to me to address the decisions in individual locations.  I do understand the point of leading local business leaders to undergo philosophical change and choose to pay their workers fair wages, but which item is the top priority: education of individuals or achievement of fair wages?   That's not a rhetorical question; I want to hear opinions on it.

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Class of 2012
B.A. in Mathematics
East Carolina University
president at alumni.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD