[nabs-l] Goodwill

Beth thebluesisloose at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 00:09:22 UTC 2012

Dear List,
	I happened to have bought my furniture from the Goodwill
Industries Store near here in Denver, but it's amazing how
we are still paying disabled workers $1.44 a measly hour!
That was back in the fifties, and we should be paying them
fair wages so they can get off of SSI.  I forwadrded the
list email with the master list press release to a friend
whose commmission for the blind in New York wants him to bag
groceries.  After all the hard work he puts into making the
high school diploma, my friend Matthew says he is outraged
by the way Goodwill Industries treats its disabled workers,
yet there's a blind CEO making all this money.  I'm sorry,
but my boyfriend, also blind, and I need to be able to get
off of SSI because you can't live off of SSI or even minimum
wage.  For some people with disabilities, SSI is their only
ticket to good lives.  For my boyfriend, who is blind and
has multiple heart defects, there's no way he can do a
fast-paced job and if he worked for Goodwill, there'd be no
way he could support a wife and children.  The music
industry is too iffy for us--we're both music lovers and
he's a big-time producer for underground rappers--and making
it is another story.  If the two of us are to even be able
to get married, we have to have fair wages, and more options
for jobs under what we want.  Right now, Jason provides for
himself a bit by working for his mother administering a site
for recipes she does.  I'm pretty sure that if Jason had the
option of getting a job that would get both of us off of
SSI, he'd jump at it.  But I'm non the SSI and welfare
system in Denver, and a Goodwill job would not pay fair
wages.  I had a relatively good relationship with the
Goodwill store in Denver, but to hear this stuff about fair
wages angers me inside sommewhere.  At least my boyfriend
and I are not mentally challenged as so many Goodwill
employees are.  But whether they are blind, wheelchair
bound, or whatever, they should be paid the fair minimum
wage and let them go up as they rise through the rankings.
Just like the teenagers who work at the McDonald's or Burger
King get raises, so should workers with disabilities.  IF
Jason gets a job at Goodwill, I'll be darned.  Unless
nonprofits and lucrative businesses clean up their act, I
will personally not do business with Goodwill.  Noteworthy
bit: myt old cane teacher's brother refused to fire his
disabled workers for economic reasons as his boss had
dictated.  Allen Risavy, I'd like to say, is a great guy,
and my old cane teacher Theresa has siblings with RP.  She
is a really sweet lady and not only does she do cane travel
with blind individuals, she shows dogs!  Her brothers, two
blind and one sighted, and her blind sister, are all good
people.  As for the Goodwill boycott, I'm not sure if that
would be as effective.  There might be other ways of
approaching it through the top people, but those of us who
need furnishings for our apartments and are on SSI must use
Goodwill, and the kindness of friends, to get what we need.