[nabs-l] Goodwill Boycott

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 06:57:32 UTC 2012

Hello,
I'm sure many people who have talked to me before know what I'm going to
say...
It's the educational system that many of these problems come down to. We
have teachers coming out of school who are not inspired to create a new
style of teaching. We have teachers who are never taught about disabled
students. We have blind students who are never taught how to ask for
accommodations. We have parents who think being blind is bad!
Honestly, if I could have redone my education as a sighted person, I would
not have done it. Being blind is such an advantage in the United States when
going through school. You get extra time on everything, you get leniency on
all your assignments if you can't finish them on time, you get free
schooling, you get paid to go through school by SSI, you have so many
scholarships you can apply for, you can use the law to fight for
accessibility with little retribution, you become great friends with your
teachers just because you get to talk to them all the time, you are by
nature a very active participant in your class, you are able to read your
books 1000 times faster than all of the other students combined, you're able
to get tutoring for free, you don't have to feel ashamed for taking
advantage of any of the above benefits because you're disabled and that's
what you're expected to do!
Also, the expectation of your teachers is rather low and when you get 100%
on all their hardest tests they get all embarrassed, people think it's
amazing that you're getting strait As when it's nothing, (Stereotypically)
blind people are very unsocial so they have lots of extra time to do school
work, you're able to actually edit your teacher's handouts and instructions
because Jaws doesn't miss skipped letters, if you have a problem with your
online test you can blame it on your screen reader crashing the web browser,
state colleges gobble you up if you have ever taken an honors class at a
community college and you have good grades and you've written one of those
inspiring essays, when you write inspiring essays you can get the super
arrogant feeling for a moment and say "That's me in the essay!", you're able
to participate in all kinds of extra activities through agencies like Global
explorers or the Light House, you can participate in summer job programs
like YES1 and YES2 in Washington State, when you go to community college or
state college you're given a guide through the school because you need a
mobility lesson and you have the disability resource person...
I should probably stop, but you get the idea...
It's probably because I was homeschooled for the first few years of my life
and did all kinds of super awesome things with my overly amazing parents and
didn't enter public school till 5th grade that I have this view of school,
but I understood that I could learn in public school and it was just that
either the teacher wasn't teaching me or that I wasn't equipped with the
skills or technology that was keeping me from learning.
There are many other factors in learning, like Gardiner's multiple  theory
of intelligences that play a factor in if one learns in school, but thank
goodness I was able to learn that anyone can learn from anyone, they just
need to know how they learn and learn that way!
I can give examples, but this email is already super long, so I'll get off
education.
My point is that most blind people aren’t taught about all the above things.
I was super lucky because my parents let me run my IEP meetings and my mom
became a TVI half way through my schooling, but every blind person needs to
know that school can be amazing! It is worth spending 8-12 years of your
life there getting your music degree or dentist degree.

Another factor is that disabled people are fit into even a tighter mold of
what they are to be when disabled people are the most unique of anyone.
Blind people do not belong in special ed classes because they don't need
special ed. Special ed teachers are people who teach extreme cases of
autistic or other mentally disabled people. If a blind person is put into
that environment and they don't need it, they will go insane! It's like if
Stephen Hawking would have been born totally disabled and people stuck him
into special ed just because he can't talk!
Where would cosmology be?
Sadly it's those who break out of the mold and assimilate their own way into
sighted culture in order to evade the label of mentally disabled that are
fighting for these rights.

I keep on telling people that if someone is considered weird it's not them
that's weird, it's you who's weird for thinking that they're weird. It's
like you thinking the person in front of you is going through time the same
way you are!

Sadly the world is not reasonable, so we have to shuck reason and go for
emotion. That's why we write all the super inspiring essays and that's why
we have to assimilate into the sighted world.
Those who end up working in low under minimum wage jobs have probably not
learned how to assimilate enough to pass off as "normal" in the sighted
community, so that's probably why they can't get the entry level jobs.

Before someone gives the line about not needing to be anything other than
blind because we are blind, let me just say that most of this world likes to
think they are sighted and normal. Most people like to walk with the crowd.
Those who never learn to walk with the crowd are considered weird, those who
learn how to walk with the crowd then figure out how to rise above it are
considered great.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs