[nabs-l] E-book Accessibility

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 04:43:28 UTC 2012

Hi all,
After several years of graduate seminar courses that didn't have
textbooks, I am needing to take one more course this fall (a
statistics course) that does have an assigned textbook. The textbook
is not available in any of my usual databases (not surprising since
it's math) so I requested it from Bookshare, but would like to have a
backup option in case Bookshare isn't able to get it done by August. I
looked on the publisher's website and found that the book is available
for purchase as an E-book in "Epub" format. Apparently the book can be
read on a PC using "Adobe Digital Editions" or on a mobile device
using specific third-party apps such as "TXTR". The last time I tried
to do this, back in 2007, I couldn't find an accessible way to read a
mainstream E-book, but I know it's been five years and perhaps we've
made some progress in this area? Anyway, do any of you have experience
reading EPub files or used Adobe Digital Editions? Is Adobe Digital
Editions accessible or if not, is it possible to convert an EPub file
to text using a converter like RoboBraille? Also, has anyone
successfully used any of the mainstream iPhone apps for E-books?
Thanks for your help,
Arielle