[nabs-l] E-book Accessibility

Courtney Stover liamskitten at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 05:12:38 UTC 2012

Arielle,

The following method comes with a major caveat; I have never
personally utalized it.  However, the principle behind the procedure
seems sound.  If anyone knows this procedure to be unworkable, please
say so.

>From what I understand, those EPub files are readable with the listed
applications if you keep them in their native format.  However, there
is, apparently, a rather simple way to convert EPub to text.

Apparently, you can change the file extension to .zip instead of
.epub.  Then, you can use a program like Winzip to unzip the file.
What that is supposed to leave you with is a folder full of HTML
files.  Then, you can simply copy/paste the HTML files in to text
files, or whatever format you prefer.

There is also apparently a program called Stanza (am not sure about
the spelling; if a quick Google doesn't find it, I'll be more than
glad to look up the proper spelling) that performs conversions for
you.  I've been told it is accessible.

Here's another idea for you: you can request that Bookshare initially
upload what they refer to as the "raw scan" I had to do this because
of significant delays with textbooks.  You receive this scan much more
quickly, and because of their scanning methods, it is highly readable.
 Then, they can upload a proofread version later.  I think they only
do this in urgent circumstances, but I would say that your situation
applies.

I hope some of this is helpful.
Regards,
Courtney