[nabs-l] E-book Accessibility

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 16:12:22 UTC 2012

An important factor is whether the book includes digital rights management (DRM). I have a Mac app called bookle that allows one to read unprotected EPUB files, and I can simply copy and paste into a word processor if I prefer to read it that way. I assume something similar exists for Windows, but I'm less familiar with that platform now.

Apple's iBooks app on IOS will allow you to read EPUB as well. I don't actually know if it allows you to read protected files or only unprotected ones. My guess is some protected but not all; that's only a guess though.

I've also heard of people successfully using Kobo and Stanza on IOS, though I don't have personal experience with these apps.

If the file has DRM, you will have a harder time accessing it. It is possible to strip DRM, and in Canada at least, this is legal if your purpose is to create an accessible copy for a person with a perceptual disability, but I haven't had to do this, so I don't know what tools you would need and whether they are accessible.

Best,

Marc