[nabs-l] Karen Anderson for President

Karen Anderson kea.anderson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 07:30:17 UTC 2012

Fellow NABS Members:

I'd like to take a moment and  thank those of you who took the time to
submit questions to the Candidate Forum. Your questions were
thoughtful and insightful, and provided a great opportunity to
solidify my thoughts about this organization and why I want to be its
president.

During the past three years, in which I have served as your 1st vice
president, I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge about you,
my fellow students. I have learned what is important to you, I have
spent time talking to you about issues you face, solutions you would
like to see, and doing everything I can to make all of these ideas and
wishes coalesce into an organization we can all be proud of. I believe
that in order to continue to build the organization you all have lead
me to understand you want, it is necessary for me to seek the office
of president.

I hope my answers to the questions you posed to the candidates (both
attached to this message and pasted at the end) help you learn more
about me and what I want to do for NABS, and you.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, concerns,
or ideas you have. My contact information is below my signature.

I hope I can count on your vote Sunday evening.

sincerely,
Karen Anderson, 1st vice president
National Association of Blind Students
(402) 319-7645
kea.anderson at gmail.com
Twitter: @kea_anderson

Candidate Forum Questions:
For Karen Anderson
1.	What has NABS accomplished this year under your direction?

Firstly, to be clear and fair to everyone involved, while I have been
involved in, and lead, a good number of projects everything this
organization accomplishes is a team effort. That said, I have helped
spearhead the Student Slate, Pennies for Pages, and some of our
fundraising efforts at Washington Seminar. I was also privileged to be
a NABS rep at the Ohio and Maryland conventions, and at Maryland’s
student seminar earlier in the year.

2.	What will NABS accomplish under your direction that it is not doing
currently?

If I am elected president, NABS will reach out to a more diverse
population of students. I firmly believe every student should have a
voice in NABS whether they are in middle school, a nontraditional
student with a full-time job, or fall somewhere else within the realm
of considering oneself a student.

I would also like to see us build a stronger relationship with our
parent organization. The Jernigan Institute, and other departments
within the National center for the Blind, do incredible work for and
with students. As the voice of the Nation’s blind students, NABS must
be more deeply involved with this work. It is our responsibility as
students active in the movement to work closely with those who have
the knowledge and experience to help guide student issues to the
forefront of legislative and social advocacy. You all know there is a
staggering unemployment rate among the blind. One of the key ways to
improve this is to ensure that everyone has the educational
opportunities necessary to become successfully employed. A strong bond
between the National Center for the Blind and the National Association
of Blind Students is key to ensuring this can happen. As  president,
one of my highest priorities would be to work together to change what
it means to be a blind student in America.

I want to reach out to students who have not yet been introduced to
the NFB. I have come across a number of conferences for young blind
people that do not include representation from advocacy organizations.
It is important to ensure that the blind speak for ourselves. I would
like to see us have representation at non-NFB  conferences to raise
awareness of what we do, and what we can do for blind students.

General Questions for Presidential Candidates.
1.	Why are you running for the NABS presidency?

I am running for the NABS presidency because I believe NABS has the
potential to grow beyond what it currently is. NABS can be an
invaluable resource for students and should always be the first place
a blind student wants to turn when they have questions or concerns. I
believe I have the ideas, the drive, and the leadership abilities to
make this happen. I believe with my talents, skills, direction, and
most importantly your help, NABS will be unstoppable.

2. If elected, what specific projects will you attempt to implement
which aren’t being implemented already?

In addition to the projects I have discussed previously, NABS needs to
ensure we are using available technologies to leverage our membership,
and reach out to new students. I would like to work on increasing the
use of social media as a tool for conversation and recruitment, in
addition to being a tool for the dissemination of information. I would
like to harness the power of some of the long-running threads on the
NABS e-mail list to build a searchable resource for frequently asked
questions and often discussed topics. In this way, students can find
answers that have already been posted on a specific topic, and be more
prepared to seek clarifying information applicable to their specific
situation. Recently, NABS has begun the development of a membership
database. I would like to see this work continue, and extend to other
parts of the website, allowing for more efficient updates and posting
of content. This will ensure that items like contact information, such
as that for student divisions and community resources, is updated
efficiently and in a timely manner.

3.	What traits do you possess which make you better suited for the
position of NABS president?

Besides my position on the NABS board I am the president of the
Nebraska Association of Blind Students, a division of NABS that has
seen continuous growth during my tenure. The leadership skills and
ability to think creatively to solve problems that have served me so
well at a state level will also serve me well as NABS president. I am
able to relate to students of any age. Having worked with summer
program students and seen their successes and stumbling blocks, and
having friends who are considered working-students, I have a grasp on
the issues that face those who are not in my immediate peer group, but
are nevertheless students, and important voices in NABS.

In addition, as a full-time undergraduate student I am intimately
familiar with the day-to-day experiences and challenges of being a
blind student in this ever changing educational environment.

4. It seems that, in recent years, NABS has been heading in a positive
direction. If things are going well, why should we support a change in
leadership

While I agree  that NABS has been heading in a generally positive
direction I still believe there is room for improvement. My
personality and leadership style make me the candidate best able to
lead NABS in the years to come, and implementing the projects I have
outlined will strengthen the organization and continue the positive
trend.

5.	What do you feel is the biggest strength that your opponent would
bring to the position if elected?

The biggest strength Sean brings to the Presidency, were he to be
reelected, is continuity of leadership. While this can be important,
it can also be a hindrance to progress. While I have a great deal of
respect for Sean, and the accomplishments NABS has made under his
leadership, we have differing ideas in some respects and differing
leadership styles. I believe the strengths I bring to the table are
what NABS needs most in the coming two year term.

6. Can you describe a personal experience that you have had that
drives you to want to work on behalf of blind students?

I grew up as a blind student, one of the supposed “amazing ones.” I
was made to feel like I was extraordinary for accomplishing everyday
tasks and achieving the same things my peers were achieving.
Consequently, I entered college completely unprepared for what the
real world had in store for me. I floundered for three semesters,
afraid to ask for directions or help learning the alternative
techniques of blindness, before finally hitting rock bottom and
failing out of school in my fourth semester at the University of
Nebraska Lincoln. Since then I have gotten training in blindness
skills, gone back to school, and regained a great deal of the
confidence I lost. I am passionate about helping other blind students
avoid making my mistakes, and helping them realize that they don’t
need to be perfect to be leaders. My experiences also taught me the
importance of positive blind role models, without whom I may never
have realized there were better ways to navigate life.

7.	What challenges will you face as president in this ever-growing
digital technological world?

For the most part technology has been a blessing to geographically
diverse organizations such as NABS, but it comes with a downside. It
is often more difficult to form a close personal relationship with
people who are merely represented to us by a synthesized voice, or
dots on a display. The biggest challenge I will face as president, in
the area of technology, is effectively leveraging the myriad tools we
have at our disposal, and still fostering the one on one interaction
that builds healthy relationships among peers.

8. Over the past year or so, the quality of the dialog on the email
list has dwindled considerably. It seems like it has been taken over
by petty personal arguments, off topic posts, and came to a screeching
halt when every message had to be filtered through the list owner this
past fall. If elected, what specifically are you willing to do to
improve the quality of the email list? Do you believe it is a good
idea to appoint a list moderator to watch the list for inappropriate
behavior, and if so, are you willing to appoint such a person if
elected to the board?

My answer to this question directly ties into the negative aspect of
technology I touched on in the previous issue. People will often say
things on an e-mail list, where they feel some degree of anonymity
because no one is actually in front of them when they write their
words and hit send, that they would not say were the discussion
happening in a coffee shop or local pub. I believe it is first and
foremost every list member’s responsibility to remember that we are
civilized human beings and the object of the listserv is to encourage,
support, uplift, and mentor each other. It is also everyone’s
responsibility to remember the saying that has been around since the
early days of the Internet, “don’t feed the trolls,” that is to say do
not engage in an argument for the sake of an argument.

It may possibly be time to examine whether the listserv meets all of
the goals it was originally created for. While discussion is healthy
and important, it may be time to investigate ways to use the list for
more structured discussion. Whether this would involve moderating all,
or some, list traffic, or examining other ways to communicate with
members I do not know, but I will make it a point as president to
appoint a committee to look into how we can best use the list and
other resources.

All that said, if necessary I would absolutely be willing to appoint a
list moderator to help keep things on topic, and within the rules of
civility. The NABS list should be a safe place for students to discuss
issues, not a place where people have to fear retribution for asking a
question long-time subscribers may have seen 20 times before.

9.	Based upon my own observations as well  as experience, it seems to
me that the NFB is a rather elitist organization where few members are
truly accepted into the organization and are able to hold leadership
positions within the organization. If elected to the board, what
specifically are you willing to do to reach out to members who feel as
though they are not accepted by this organization and feel as though
their contributions do not matter because they are not a part of the
leadership clique?

This is a challenging question to answer. Firstly, I don’t feel that
the organization tries to have a cliquish attitude or exclude anyone
from being involved who wants to be. One of the greatest challenges
any leader faces is how to most effectively utilize everyone who says
they want to help. That being said, the first thing required of an
individual who wants to get involved is to make themselves known. I
encourage any member of this organization who has an idea (whether it
be for a project, or something smaller) to speak up and bring it to
the attention of a board member. That isn’t to say board members are
more important, but they are your representatives in the overall
running of the organization. Getting involved doesn’t always have to
mean that you sit on the board. There are frequently opportunities to
help (NABS Monte Carlo Night, meeting registrations, soliciting door
prizes, just to name a few opportunities made available to you as
members); pick something that interests you and run with it. If you
can’t find something, talk to your leaders. If there is a way your
idea can be used, it will be. If we feel it needs refinement, we’ll
collaborate with you to come up with a workable plan. I don’t believe
anyone who has a serious idea will ever be turned away simply because
you’re not in the right clique.

10.	Many people have different definitions of what it means to serve
on the board as well as the reasons why they choose to serve. How do
you define the board position you are seeking, and what are the
reasons why you are seeking this position? If you are not elected to
this position, would you be willing to serve in another position on
the board while supporting the person who was elected to this
position?

I believe the goal of the president is to steer the organization and
to provide leadership, direction and encouragement to its members. Of
course if I am not elected I am willing to serve in another position;
my ultimate intent is to further the goals of the organization, not to
wear the banner of a specific title. However, I believe I have the
best personality and qualities to lead NABS and continue to grow the
organization.

11.	How do you assess the progress made in strengthening bonds between
state student divisions and the NABS board in the past year? What will
you do to continue strengthening the bonds between state student
divisions and the NABS board?

We have begun to make progress strengthening the bonds between state
student divisions and the national organization, however there is
still much work to be done. If elected president I will continue the
system of appointing regional representatives from the NABS board to
advise leaders of state student divisions. I will also personally
reach out to student leaders working to build the individual
relationships that make NABS a strong and cohesive group.

12.	How do you compare the group dynamics of localized organizations,
such as local chapters, state student divisions, or campus
organizations, versus nationally-based ones like NABS?

I think it is often easier to get involved in local organizations.
However, a national organization such as NABS offers students an
opportunity to make change on a larger scale. If approached correctly,
it can also be a way for less outgoing students to begin contributing
without feeling like they are being singled out and judged.

13.	With what other activities (both in and out of the federation) are
you involved, and do you feel you have adequate time to devote to the
office?

I am president of the Nebraska Association of Blind students and have
the privilege of sitting on my local chapter and state affiliate
boards. I also occasionally sing with local bands. During the summers
I work with programs designed to teach blind youth the importance of
alternative techniques of blindness. I believe I can dedicate
sufficient time to the office of NABS president to justify your faith
in electing me. I have solid organization and communication skills
that will enable me to manage my time and keep focused on all areas of
the activities I am involved with.

14.	What do you see as Nabs purpose and mission?

The purpose of NABS is to empower and encourage blind students. The
best way we can do this is to bring students into the National
Federation of the Blind and expose them to positive blind role models.

15.	How do you propose further strengthening ties with the national
organization and increasing membership numbers?

I believe I have addressed this issue in previous questions, but to
recap I will work with the National center for the Blind to bring a
NABS voice into the planning of student oriented activities and
advocacy efforts. I will reach out to our senior leaders to make sure
that they understand the issues important to NABS members. I will
ensure that I understand the issues that are important to you as
students, and how we can use the resources of the National Center to
find solutions.

16. How do you plan to reach out to student groups besides those
currently in college? (IE. High school, non traditional, Etc.)

I will seek out opportunities for NABS to be included at events hosted
by unaffiliated organizations. I will also find opportunities to
disseminate our information through groups that serve our blind
students, that may not know about NABS and how we can be of benefit to
them.