[nabs-l] a question about getting lost

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 21:53:12 UTC 2012

Hi Vejas,

Wow!!! Great question! Honestly, I simply can't see your aid's
reasoning in getting mad at you for finding your own way, while
at the same time he gets equally mad at you for needing lots of
help to get back on the right path.  It seems like a real
double-standard to me! I would ask this guy 2 questions: (1) "Why
do you get mad at me when I find my way on my own after getting
lost, using the very skills which it is your job to help me
learn?" and (2) "With all due respect, what is your solution?
What would you rather have me do when I get lost, or do you just
want me never to get lost?"

I think back to a seminar for parents and students which the
Maryland Organization of Parents of Blind Children (MDPOBC) held
at our state convention here in Maryland about 3 or 4 years ago.
Dr.  Maurer was one of the speakers at that seminar, and one of
the topics he covered was getting lost.  His main message was
"It's OK to get lost." Everybody gets lost sometimes.  That
includes even the best blind travellers.  So if your aid joined a
list like Blind Talk, he could probably get plenty of stories
from experienced blind adults who are also confident travellers
about getting lost and what they did to find their way back.
This includes asking sighted people for information! Note: I say
"information" instead of "help" because I want to emphasize that
most of the time, all you need from a sighted person is
information (in verbal form) as to your location and some
directions to get you back where you need to go.  Now if you're
really lost and maybe in an unsafe situation, your only option
might be sighted guide for the time being.  But I have found that
in the vast majority of situations in which I have gotten lost
and needed a sighted person to help me figure it out, all I
needed was some verbal information.  I would ask your aid if he,
as a sighted person, has ever gotten lost; driving, walking, or
whatever.  If he's like the average sighted person, he probably
has! Why? Because he
was in an unfamiliar area, which, even while using all the
relevant skills he knew to get out of that position of being
lost, he still was having trouble figuring out how to get out of
that position (which happens to all sighted people,) and got
lost.  So I really can't see why he would get mad at you for
having to do the same thing.  By the way, I don't think it is not
being independent, in any way shape or form, when you ask a
sighted person for directions when you're lost! Everybody, blind
and sighted alike, gets lost sometimes, and that's OK.  Sometimes
you need to ask someone for information to help you get on the
right track, and sometimes you can figure it out on your own.  I
think it is a compliment to you when you solve a travel problem
(for example, getting lost) on your own, as that says that you
know the important travel skills you need to know to get out of
the pickle of getting lost.

In my opinion, if you get lost, it's OK; it happens to everybody.
If you need to ask for information from a sighted person to help
you reorient, that's OK, too.  If you can figure it out on your
own, that's even better! You asked if we thought reorienting
after getting lost and getting to your destination safely was a
"big deal." In my opinion, yes, it is a big deal; in a good way.

Chris

Chris Nusbaum
Email and Google Talk/Keychat (on the BrailleNote) ID:
dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Skype: christpher.nusbaum3 or search for Chris Nusbaum

nuisance."
-- Kenneth Jernigan