[nabs-l] this one aide is driving me crazy? how should i react?

vejas brlsurfer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 00:50:28 UTC 2012

Hi,
The person I am writing about is not my aide, it's another guy.
This guy, Gregory, helps out with other kids, I think maybe the
ones who are autistic?
Anyway, when I've seen him recently he has been ABSOLUTELY
ANNOYING.
For example, for no other reason than the fact that I was
travelling on my own, he said he was proud of me.  But I didn't
do anything! I'm just traveling, exactly as I should!
On a second incident, when I was outside a classroom, I had to
call my mom for something, and he came up.  After being told that
I was on the phone, I was just about to leave the message when he
began talking again in his loud voice, and I had to call her
again.  When somebody knows you're on the phone, they should
seriously JUST LEAVE.
And maybe the worst was today.  He followed me the WHOLE ENTIRE
last quarter of my math class.  He would tell me to turn left,
even if I knew I had to.  And the weirdest thing was that when I
was walking, I felt a trash can with my cane and went around it
just as I was supposed to.  Then a couple seconds later he said,
"There's a trash can." Yes, I know.  I went around it a couple of
seconds ago.
I really need help.  He really bugs me.  I'm assuming he might
just be uneducated in blindness, as he is so used to working with
learning-disabled and autistíc people and probably has to do a
lot with them.
I've considered telling my aide, but they're sort of friends and
knowing who he is (I've had this aide for three years, same one I
talked about about getting lost a week ago), I'm assuming he's
probably going to make some excuse for Gregory (they're on
friendly terms.)
How can I get the message across to Gregory? Seriously if he
doesn't listen to the fact that I'm about to send my mom a
message, how am I going to expect him to listen if I talk with
him firmly?
Thank you so much.
Vejas