[nabs-l] Device Helps Blind See with Tongue

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Wed May 23 19:41:29 UTC 2012

I think some of you are focusing on the technology and its possible uses.  What made me want to post this article were the philosophies on blindness expressed in the article and news story.

In no connection to the previous discussion of cancer on this thread, I feel like the researchers think their discovery is analogous to finding a cure for cancer when they come up with this technology.  They appear to me to be trying to tackle tasks that any graduate of an NFB training center can already handle.  If I don't know what is on the counter in front of me, I reach out and touch it.  Let them research whatever they want to research, but I think these people are marked by a profound misunderstanding of blindness.

I don't try to fix the fact that I'm blind (as if it's something wrong with me); I try to fix the misunderstandings about blindness.

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Class of 2012
B.A. in Mathematics
East Carolina University
president at alumni.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD