[nabs-l] Reading the Braille Monitor

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sun May 27 18:03:58 UTC 2012

Hi Elizabeth and everyone,

You are correct! Here is how to access the Monitor on the Web site and on
Newsline for the phone:

On the Web site:

1. Go to www.nfb.org
2. On the home page, click on the Publications link.
3. On the publications page, click on Braille Monitor.
4. Select the decade you want, for example 2000-Present to read the most
recent issues.
5. Once you have clicked on a decade, you will find headings for each year.
Select the heading with the year you want to read from, for example 2012.
6. Select the month you want from the links under the heading for each year.
7. Once you have selected the month, a new page will load which will look
like the cover of that issue of the Monitor. Under the cover text, you
should see a "Contents" heading. Note: In the 2012 issues, there will be a
link on the cover page which says "skip to contents." If you are reading the
Monitor on the Web site, you might want to click on that link so you can
skip all the information on the cover about the thumb drive version of the
Monitor and how to access it on an NLS player. Under the contents heading,
you will find links to all the articles, plus a Listen Now (MP3) link to
listen to the audio version of each article, as was recorded in the
cassette/thumb drive versions.

On Newsline (assuming you are using the phone to access Newsline:)

1. Of course, log into Newsline.
2. From the main menu, press option 7 for magazines.
3. When prompted by Newsline to select a category, select Blindness-Spesific
by pressing option 1.
4. Press 1 again for the Braille Monitor.
5. Select the issue you want to read. Note: Because of the way Newsline is
set up, each monthly issue of the magazine will be read as the issue for the
first of that month. For example, the May issue of the Monitor will be read
on Newsline as "The Braille Monitor for May 1, 2012."
6. Select the section you want to read. Most of the time, you want to press
11 for the Articles section. The About the Braille Monitor section is all
the information on the cover.
7. Read the articles using the standard Newsline commands (1 to go to the
previous article, 3 to go to the next article, etc.)

By the way, I personally am subscribed to the hardcopy Braille version of
the Monitor, but sometimes I'll look at it on the Web site or on Newsline if
I want to refer back to an article or if I want to read something in the
Monitor before my Braille issue comes. Josh, see my previous email for a
more detailed explanation of how to find the agenda on the Web site. Happy
reading!!

Hope this helps,

Chris