[nabs-l] blind cashiers/burger flippers

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 16:38:35 UTC 2012

Hey, gang,
  I know this e-mail might sound a bit odd, but here goes.  There's a
good chance I'll be working at my local Macdonalds very shortly.  The
owner (who is a fairly close family friend) is understandably, but I
think unnecessarily, afraid of me potentially using any equipment that
hasn't been specifically adapted for blind people.  I'll have to
convince him I can really flip hamburgers and use a grill, but I think
he's one of the people who will "get it" after a little education.
Now, here are my questions to you.
  Have any of you handled cash registers and credit card machines
before and, if so, what kinds of techniques have you used to deal with
credit cards?  I'm not really worried about organizing cash, but I'm
thinking a regular, run-of-the-mill credit card machine might be a
little tricky...not impossible, mind, but tricky.  Have any of you
used any "accessible" credit card machines in already established
restaurants?
  Also...if any of you have any tips on how I can best convince my
managers that I really can cook safely, even in a back room industrial
kitchen like Macdonalds, that'd be appreciated.  I have no doubt I can
do it; what I don't know how to do, I'll be able to learn.  Still, I'm
thinking convincing the people I work with that I'll be safe is
another beast entirely.  Thoughts?
  Best,
Kirt