[nabs-l] blind cashiers/burger flippers

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr. freethaught at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 15:02:52 UTC 2012

Hello Kurt and all,

Good for you I'm going for a job, even if there is some doubt that you may be able to do it.

I say this is one of many jobs you can get, so don't be disappointed if you don't get this one just yet.

I am sure you're fully capable of pulling your own in the industrial kitchen. However, one should realize that if she or he can make coffee for instance, it doesn't mean that she can work at Starbucks making coffee.

There's a great number of tools in a larger amount of ingredients used in making coffee in the day-to-day operations of the coffee shop.

My coffee shop example would call for a blind person to become familiar with most if not all tools techniques and operations of the business.

This would come to me in the form of experience, or I could ask a close friend to describe in detail what happens in the coffee shop. Alternatively, I could go to a smaller establishment, and ask them to show me the ropes.
Kurt, you have an advantage here because the owner is a friend of the families, and they can show you the kitchen, the ingredients, and the workspace.
I say go for it, and see what happens.
Antonio