[nabs-l] blind cashiers/burger flippers

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr. freethaught at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 15:12:02 UTC 2012

Kurt,

While there are many alternative techniques to using a cash register, including the use of fully talking registers, I also failed to imagine how I could utilize a touchscreen device from the mainstream establishment. I see little chance that businesses will change registers for a blind person. Modifications would probably fall under what we consider unreasonable.

Unfortunately, this is just the way the cookie crumbles. And we are better off fighting bigger battles than these.

Now, if the overall business of blind merchants establishments comes under attack, and is under threat of being inaccessible, we should act to change the situation.

This is unfortunate. There are many millions of jobs that we can start doing, except for that they are not accessible. I was limited to phone work at Home Depot store because it was probably considered not safe for me to do many other things there. And if something were considered safe, it was likely not accessible.

I knew four instance that I would have little trouble selling appliances. But there was another problem. Coworkers didn't think I could do the job, nor did they accept the fact that I would be taking one of theirs.