[nabs-l] taking the psat in a couple of weeks, have some questions

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:56:23 UTC 2012

Hi Vejas and all,
First, Vejas remember that the PSAT is an opportunity for you to
prepare for the SAT, so don't stress about it too much! Colleges will
never ever see those scores. It's a practice run.
With that said, you should definitely take the opportunity to explore
ways in which you will prepare for the SAT or ACT.
ETS which creates the SAT series does have practice braille tests for
SAT but I'm not entirely sure about PSAT. I really want to say they do
but high school was over four years ago for me so I can't remember.
Just go to ETS.org and you can get their phone number from there.
Secondly, since you are a student you should have a bookshare account.
Bookshare has the Princeton Review books for a ton of standardized
tests, including PSAT. While the math section of the book is hard to
read with JAWS or braille displays, the verbal and writing will be
just fine. Finally, Learning Ally has the Princeton Review And Kaplan
books for even more standardize tests so definitely check those out.
When you are getting ready to take the SAT see if your school offers
some kind of tutoring or preparation after school or before school
program.
In addition, if your teachers are giving out preparation materials to
other students, they should give them in enough time to your TVI for
them for them to get them to you in braille or whatever format you
need.
Hope that helps and good luck.
Mary F

--