[nabs-l] Question for you all

Desiree Oudinot turtlepower17 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 22:04:06 UTC 2012

Hi,
I don't know how much money you have that's not connected to your
card, but one suggestion I have is to keep some cash on you so that
you won't be completely without money if your mom goes through with
taking your card. Also, make sure that you have your card number
written down in a safe place, such as on a note taker or in Braille on
paper, so that if you need to make an online purchase, you can without
her permission. The suggestions that others have given about checking
your account balance regularly are good as well. If you can, change
your password for your online account, and think about maybe opening
up an account that she doesn't have to co-sign for. Once you're an
adult, I don't think it's ever acceptable for someone else to have
even a little control over your money. You might make mistakes, or
make foolish purchases, but that's all part of living and learning.
Just yesterday,I was ordering some stuff from a website. My internet
decided to take that oppurtunity to temporarily lose signal, so the
order ended up going through twice. By the time I realized what had
happened, it was too late. The company said they couldn't cancel
orders that have already been processed. So I'm going to get a lecture
from my parents for ordering too much stuff, not to mention the fact
I'll be getting two of the same thing, which mind you wasn't cheap
either, but I just have to suck it up and deal. That's just one
mistake I can think of that I've made with regards to money.
Thankfully, I haven't ever overdrawn my account, but I do know it
happens to everyone at least once, and it's not the end of the world.
It's not even like you get bad credit from that.
I know I probably shouldn't be advocating sneaking around, but
sometimes, when parents are extremely rigid and refuse to give up even
a little control, you have to push back. It may be disrespectful, but
at the end of the day, you're an adult. Being docile and bending to
your parents' every wish never gets you anywhere. As someone who has
done that more than I really care to admit, I can only give you the
advice I wish I had heeded myself.