[nabs-l] Question for you all

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 21:03:46 UTC 2012

Ashley,
The major banks like WellsFargo and Bank of America provide PDF
statements and I think some of them provide Braille statements if you
request them. I rarely look at my actual statements, but instead look
at the "account activity" page online which details all of my
transactions for up to a year.
I have investment accounts too and they often send print documents. If
you have access to a scanner you can scan the document and put it
through OCR or send it to
convert at robobraille.org
to get a text copy. If you don't have a scanner you can have someone
read or at least summarize it for you. This can be a family member or
friend if you are comfortable with them knowing about your money
and/or if they are involved with your investments. If you aren't
comfortable with that you can hire a reader for this kind of thing.

My dad was a joint owner on my first bank account I got when I was 17.
He never checked up on my account and when I got an account at a
different bank I didn't add anyone as a co-owner.
Also, this is slightly off-topic, but I recently learned about
DiscoverBank and I think it's great. It is an entirely online bank so
all of your account management happens online. They have regular
checking and savings accounts, CD's, and IRA CD's and the savings
accounts earn more interest than a regular savings account (I believe
the current rate is around .80%, and that's for an account you can
pull money out of anytime). To get started go to:
www.discoverbank.com
One thing I don't know about is the availability of Discover ATM's,
but if you get a debit card from them, you should be able to use it at
any ATM.
Best,
Arielle