[nabs-l] Getting Drivers?

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun Oct 14 22:43:37 UTC 2012

In most cities, cab rates are set by some sort of governing
body.  Sometimes individual drivers will negotiate, particularly if
you pay in cash instead of with a credit card.  Drivers are also more
likely to negotiate with repeat business, say you get dropped off
somewhere, and arrange for the same person to pick you up at a
different time.  However mostly rates are set and not negotiable in
most areas of the country.

Some drivers let you know they are there, some don't.  It depends on
the company, the driver, local custom, etc.  Some companies will call
your cell phone when they are near.  You can also tell the company
you are blind, when you make the initial call, and to watch out for a
guy with cane or dog etc.  This has its own risks, especially if you
use a dog, but is one approach.  If there are people around you may
be able to ask somebody to tell you when a taxi arrives -- but you
shouldn't completely count on this.

All in all, like with most things, there aren't any one universal approach.

Dave