[nabs-l] Public humiliation because of blindness.

Mauricio Almeida mauriciopmalmeida at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 05:50:48 UTC 2012

greetings,

While i have never had a situation exactly like this one, I thought I would point out my views on some  of the issues discussed herein.
I strongly agree that you should take some kind of action regarding this matter, because it is because we let go of things in the past that we need to deal with these situations nowadays.
however, coming to us and sharing your experience, is already an action. You have allowed yourself to calm down, and you have accepted the situation understanding that it is not your fault for having a disability, but his fault for not knowing how to seal with the situation and being totally inappropriate about it.
This is a big step within itself.
About further action, I would fill a complaint with the place's management, as suggested in the first reply of this e-mail, and stand by.
if the issue persist, then consider additional steps.
The important thing is to remember how to distinguish ignorance from prejudice. many people do not know what the blind can do, which is why sometimes they ask way to many questions over a simples matter. in those cases, the best approach is to educate them.
when however the person is purposefully making you embarrassed, (or whenever it seems to be this way) don't hesitate to take an aggressive stance.

sincerely,

Mauricio Almeida
Vice president: Michigan association of blind students