[nabs-l] Braille for accented letters

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 17:31:54 UTC 2012

Hello,
This is kind of a sticky subject. As an Opera singer I am given a multitude
of Accented letters in my music, but I cheat a little because I often know
what the word is supposed to be, so the accent isn't a big surprise. Also,
the transcriber often times puts the accents in the special symbols section.
But do you have the English Braille American Edition Revised 2002?

http://jjkvc.org/Documents/English%20Braille%20-%20American%20Edition.pdf

In Appendix B you will find all of the braille signs for accented letters
and these are what the braille transcriber uses.
The grave and umlaut are over the critical letters.  For French grave it's
dots 2346 over the E and 12356 over the A and 23456 over the U.
The Italian is the same with the addition of I which is 34 and O which is
346.   German umlaut over the U is 1256; over the A 345; and over the O 246.
It is NOT simple.

I'd make a cheetsheet if I were you.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs