[nabs-l] Powerpoint presentation

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 23:55:56 UTC 2012

Hi all,
One challenge I've had, which perhaps some of you have as well, is not
knowing exactly what or how much to put on PowerPoint slides because I
have had far fewer examples to look at than most of my sighted peers
(who see a PowerPoint every time they go to class or listen to a
talk). When I am in a class or listening to a presentation I usually
don't find their PowerPoint slides very helpful, probably because I'm
trying to listen to the lecture and JAWS reading the slides at the
same time and I'd rather just listen to what they are saying. So I
have a hard time gauging what sighted people really need in front of
them and what is too much. I think I have gotten better at it by
looking carefully at models that other people have given me for
specific kinds of presentations (i.e. their dissertation talks) but
I'd love any other pointers especially if I end up teaching. I know my
boyfriend went to a teaching workshop once and the instructor advised
him to use PowerPoint sparingly and not put much text at all on the
slides. I'd love to do that but I worry that the sighted audience
isn't getting enough visual information to hold their attention. What
do you think?
Arielle