[nabs-l] accessible phones

Robin robin-melvin at comcast.net
Wed Sep 12 15:46:02 UTC 2012

Hello,

Gloria c.,

If you can WAIT, it might be in your best benefit to SEE which SMART
Phone Platform has the easiest operating system for you. I believe
Windows Phone 8 will ADD out of the Box ACCESSIBILITY in the form of
a Screen Reader (most likely Narrator). It has been widely rumored
that Android has vastly IMPROVED its own out of the Box Screen Reader
for Android Phones. OtherWise, you can join the masses of "The
BLIND", who have adopted Apple's iPhone with its own out of the Box
Screen Reader VoiceOver.

However, if you want a Basic Phone without a DATA Plan, there are
usually a couple of LG Phones, which offer some out of the Box
ACCESSIBLE FEATURES, but NOT as much as provided on the Apple iPhone
at this time. The only Basic Phone, which offers the most out of the
Box accessible features is the Samsung Haven, which has been
discontinued and was only offered on Verizon Wireless's Network.

I SUGGEST you inquire to your Mobile Phone Carrier to determine,
which Phones are offered to people with visual impairment.