[nabs-l] MusicDock: an accessible alternative to the Sirius XM app for iOS (fun)

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 01:17:58 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

Those of us who are on the Accessible iOS list and the NFB NABS list have
recently been talking about apps that we find to be especially useful, fun,
interesting and (most importantly) accessible. So, I thought I would add to
the discussion by describing one of my favorite iOS apps, which I think is
largely not known in the community of blind iOS users. As some of you know,
I have been a subscriber to Sirius XM Satelite Radio for about 3 years now,
and have always wanted a way to listen to my favorite channels when I'm away
from home and my Sirius receiver. Although I still haven't found an
accessible way to do this on the PC, I have found a way to do it on my iPod
Touch! The app is called MusicDock, and it is an accessible alternative to
the Sirius XM app for iOS, which (at least in the US) is inaccessible with
VoiceOver.

The app can be downloaded for free in the app store and is very easy to set
up. Once you have downloaded and installed the app, a log-in screen will
appear the first time you open the app. On this screen, you are required to
type in the username and password for your Sirius XM account. Please note
here that you must have a current Sirius XM subscription with Internet radio
enabled in order for MusicDock to work. Otherwise, you can't access the
streams of the channels and MusicDock will not let you log into and use it.
Once you have entered your Sirius XM username and password, a one-finger
flick right will bring you to a login button. Double tap on this button and
(assuming your username and password are valid) you will be logged into the
app and can now listen to all Sirius XM channels on your iOS device.

It is also very easy to find and listen to a channel using MusicDock. When
you first log into the app, if you scroll down the screen you will hear a
list of categories; pop, rock, country, news/talk, sports, etc. These are
the categories that Sirius XM channels are grouped into. Double tapping on
one of these categories will bring up a list of channels that are in that
category. Scroll down the screen by either touching or flicking to the right
to find the channel you want to listen to, then double tap on the name of
the channel to tell MusicDock to load the stream. Within seconds, the stream
will load and you will hear what is on the channel you selectet. For those
of you who use the TuneIn Radio app to listen to terrestrial (local) radio
stations, finding a channel with MusicDock is very similar to finding a
station on TuneIn.

If you don't want to list your channels by category, there are other options
as well. Like a lot of iOS apps, MusicDock has 5 tabs at the bottom of the
screen where you can change what you are viewing or which part of the app
you are in. Here are the 5 tabs in order from left to right, with
descriptions of what each one does in parentheses: categories tab (lists
channels by category; double tapping on a category will bring up a list of
channels,) channels tab (brings up a list of all the channels; double tap on
the name of a channel to listen to it,) favorites tab (shows your favorites,
or presets; double tap as always on a channel to listen to it,) play tab
(shows channels you have recently played,) and settings tab (shows your
settings for MusicDock; you can change these if you'd like, but I have mine
at the defaults and it's working very well for me.) Below the play tab,
there is a button that VoiceOver will read as "tab bar play (or stop if you
are currently listening to a channel) button. Double tapping on this button
will play or pause the selected channel. A two-finger double tap will also
work for this.

                I mentioned the favorites tab earlier. Another nice feature
of MusicDock is the "favorites" feature, which allows you to put all the
channels you listen to the most in one easy-to-get-to list, like setting
presets on a radio. To add a channel to your favorites, scroll down the
screen while you are listening to the channel you want to add until you come
to what VoiceOver will read as the "favorite off" button. If you double tap
on this button, the button label will change and VoiceOver will say
"favorite selected button." Once you have done this, all you have to do to
access a channel you've added to your favorites is to double tap on the
favorites tab at the bottom of the screen, scroll until you find the channel
you want, and double tap to listen to it.

                I hope this description and tutorial help some of you who
might be interested. MusicDock is certainly one of my favorite apps and one
that I use regularly. If you have any questions about this app, please let
me know. I hope you enjoy MusicDock if you choose to download it. Happy
listening!

Chris Nusbaum