[nabs-l] extra time on tests was Re: Lines

Laurel Wheeler laurel.stockard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 17:49:11 UTC 2013

First off, hope y'all don't mind. I changed the subject line to better reflect our conversation. I do take extra time on tests at my university. I will say that I am studying French and Russian. I think that a student should take extra time depending on their situation. For example, my school typically does a poor job getting me exams in electronic formats, and I usually have to stop in the middle of my exam and make the student disability testing center fix their mistakes so I can correctly access parts of my exam. I need my full time and a half, or double time, to complete exams because of this. I will also say that when reading large volumes of foreign language material, it takes me a little longer than my sighted class mates who can just scan through the material to answer the questions. I will say though that I am only an advocate of using your full time and a half, or double time, if the situation requires it. For example, your disability office screwing up your exam to begin with, or some other situation where you have a proctor or something. I really honestly believe that we should have an opinion on this on a case by case basis. My situation is different from Arielle's, and Arielle's situation is different from Justin's etc.
Just my thoughts,
Laurel