[nabs-l] Living in New York City

wmodnl wmodnl wmodnl at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 6 02:38:32 UTC 2013

I will quote one of my neighbors:
Living in NYC is a blind persons paradise for navigating independently.
For the most part, getting to where you needed to go is not a problem.
Another thing to know, is the building numbering system.
Od numbers on avenues are usually on the west side of the avenue.  Evens are on the west.
When traveling down side streets:
Od numbers are on the north side, even are on the south.  When heading east, the numbers rise, east of 5TH avenue.  When heading west, the numbers rise above 5TH avenue.  For most blocks, numbers 1-100 are closest to fifth avenue, both east and west.
For example, if you had to go to 97 W. 57RD Street, you would end up between 5TH and 6TH.  Conversely, that same address on the east side would bring you on East 57TH, between 5TH and Mattason.  Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad