[nabs-l] Help with a paper

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 01:12:03 UTC 2013

Google Scholar is a subsection of Google that gives you citations and
abstracts of published research articles if you search Google for a
keyword. The articles are mostly peer-reviewed, so they are credible
sources and as good as you would find in a library. However, it is
usually pretty hard to get the full text of articles on Google Scholar
because most of those articles come from journals that require paid
subscriptions. But for those of you in college, your school library
should subscribe to many journals. I'm not sure if your instructor
requires you to use official published sources or if news articles
would be OK. You should clarify that ASAP with your instructor if you
aren't sure. If you are expected to use published articles, you may
want to set up a meeting with somebody in the library to learn how to
search their online system. Many, though not all, of those databases
are quite accessible.
On to Gloria's research topic: Gloria, have you heard of the Judge
Rotenberg Center in Massachusetts? They are an institution that has
historically engaged in severe shock "treatments" and other physically
abusive practices toward their residents who are autistic or have
other similar disabilities, allegedly to try to improve their
behavior. They have been the subject of a lot of media discussion
because the Massachusetts legislature recently passed a law banning
them from using the shock "treatments" with new residents, but they
are still allowed to do so with continuing residents. There is no
question that their practices are abusive and someone from the U.N.
has even officially stated that they engage in torture. While they are
supposed to be primarily for those with mental disabilities, some of
the residents also have physical disabilities. It is an agonizing
story to read about, but could be a fascinating example to explore in
your research paper. Just Google "Judge Rotenberg Center JRC" and
you'll find a lot of stuff about them.
Arielle