[nabs-l] Help with a paper

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 02:36:24 UTC 2013

Hi,

Sophie and all, another really good academic site I've just been
steered onto by my psych professor is plos1.  It's peer-reviewed so
it's credible, and although a lot of the things on there have to do
with psychology, some of the articles cover other topics as well and
can be used to substantiate other claims in non-psychology papers or
assignments.  E.G, Gloria might talk about the effect the Judge
Rotenburg org Center abuse or other violence has on people with
disabilities, or people in general, and could find an article on the
psychological damage that could result from these actions.  It's
really easy to use and very accessible too.  And, if you're not very
good with MLA and APA like me and the type of person who uses the
Perdu Online Writing Lab to cite everything, it's great because they
give you the APA citation there on the article along with the full
text.  Just thought I'd mention it.

Arielle's suggestion is good.  You could also research mental
institutions or asylems for the disabled in the early 20th century and
before that.  Practices then were in some cases worse than the Judge
Rotenburg stuff going on today.  If you want to go a little broader
you could also discuss other forms of abuse these residents suffered
including malnutrition and the loss of skills they had.  For example,
for a class I had to watch a video about people with physical
disabilities, and one guy featured on the video was committed to an
asylum for the disabled by his father.  He had mild cerebral palsy and
was doing fairly well before he was sent there, but when his
stepmother got him out he couldn't walk anymore and was confined to a
wheelchair because he had spent so much time not walking that he lost
muscle tone.  He had lost language skills too, which was a real shame
because cognitively he was there and was bright.  His abuse was low
expectations and neglect, which has it's effects, too.  Just something
else to consider in your research.

Kaiti