[nabs-l] The Scarlet Letter

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 06:28:02 UTC 2013

Helga,
  The Scarlet Letter is actually one of the most personally meaningful
books I've ever had the pleasure of reading.  I think, if you can get
through the massive section about the custom house at the very start
(which, incidentally, wasn't required reading for my class when we did
this book), you'll have an easier time with the rest of the book.
  Since a lot of people have mentioned spark notes, I need to warn you
to be careful with it.  Some teachers despise it and might mark you
down for cheating if they find out you've used it, especially if you
copy the ideas you find there in your own essays and just change the
wording so it isn't obvious plagerism.  Most teachers are probably
fine with you using it to clarify the meanings of confusing passages
here or there, some teachers might even encourage you to use it as a
study supplament but be careful.  It's probably a good idea to know
where your teacher stands in regards to spark notes before you use
them and don't ever use ideas you find there as a substitute for
original thinking if you have to write any essays or book reviews.  I
know I'm being kind of anal but I think it needed to be said.
  Enjoy the book!  I'd be more than happy to talk about it with you in
more detail off-list if you want.  As I said before, I think it's one
of the most personally meaningful books I've ever read and it's
definitely one of my favorites.
  Best,
Kirt