[nabs-l] Bookshare New Books Filter

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Tue Apr 9 14:21:46 UTC 2013

Good morning everyone,

    Those of you who are bookshare.org subscribers have probably seen the
rash of information posted from the International Monitary Fund over the
past few weeks if you do a search for new books. This is great information
and research material for those studying finance, business, commerce,
international trade, etc but for others such as Mary and I it's getting old
very fast seeing this junk day-after day. I'm glad that bookshare.org is
including this material for those interested in reading it but for such a
large volume of such publications to show up on a new books search over a
period of weeks it gets old fast.

    Both of us have written to bookshare.org concerning this issue and have
suggested that a way to prioritize new books entries when they're posted so
material of interest appears at the top of the list of new books and
material such as this stuff from the IMF appears near the bottom and
subscribers will be less likely to encounter it when searching for new books
and other material.

    Right now they're having a "Run" on material from the International
Monetary Fund. If they're going to post large quantities of material from a
particular entity that may not be of interest to particular subscribers a
way needs to be available for patrons to manage new book listings and to
screen out entries not of interest to them. I'm wondering if others are also
feeling this frustration and have written to bookshare.org urging them to
address this issue before it gets out of hand!
Here's hoping that a fix for this situation will be announced at the
national convention and we won't have to put up with it in the future. All
the best.

Peter Donahue

 “No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper.”
Isaiah 54:17

 “While for our princes they prepare
In caverns deep a burning snare,
He shot from heaven a piercing ray,