[nabs-l] Final projects, papers, research hints

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 18:27:47 UTC 2013

Hi,

Plos1 is a good database for those who may need to do psych research,
or who may benefit from citing a study in another paper as a research
source.

If your university has a writing center, use it.  I didn't until my
religion professor gave my class the deal that if we went to the
writing center we could have an extra day to work on our papers,
(which is really valuable because he only gives us 3 or 4 days to do
them).  He told us up front that the papers that are worked on with a
Write Place tutor usually do better, and this is true; I usually get
B's on my papers without writing help, and all mine this semester have
been at least A minuses.  I have a tutor there who I can consistently
see, which is nice because he's a senior English major, knows his
stuff, and can also give me feedback on how I'm improving from paper
to paper and give me suggestions to use on my own.

Third, don't forget about other sources you can use to get
information.  Quite a few times I've just gone onto google, typed in
my search terms, and found books on the topic.  Then once I have the
file I can either read it all and take notes of quotes and page
numbers for my citations as I go, or use the find command to search
for specific topics.  For example, I did a report on braille literacy
a few years ago, so I downloaded a book from Bookshare whith a bunch
of statistics about braille literacy and used it in my paper.
Sometimes these resources specifically available to us aren't
available in the college libraries, which are mainly intended for
sighted students who may not have a need to research braille or other
blindness related topics.  I mention this specifically, because I
noticed a few of the projects mentioned on this list were about
blindness topics or the topic of people with physical disabilities in
general.

Thanks,

Kaiti