[nabs-l] Voc Rehab request denied

Robert William Kingett kingettr at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 00:11:41 UTC 2013

I'm sorry to say that there isn't much that you can do. For contact
lenses you'll have to pursue that avenue yourself. Even though a
rehabilitation agency for the blind is supposed to provide you with
tools, or resources that you'll be able to do your work successfully in
school or elsewhere, most agencies will only either a, go with what they
frequently do, like for example getting clients jaws for windows even if
they prefer window eyes. Why? Because that agency is used to getting
JAWS and the like. Or, B, go with a cheap solution. Understandable, but
unacceptable. Also, from my personal experience. Counselors seem to like
newly blind people because they haven’t yet formed educated opinions
about what's better, for them, in the adaptive technology market. Those
kind of blind people are much easier to serve because they will take
anything without question and don’t need anything anymore complex. Also,
even though this is going on a tangent, they tend to lean just a bit
more appreciatively to simple outcomes. What I mean by this is they like
the clients with simple needs that can be resolved once and that's it
and don't need ongoing service, upgrades, etc. these are just my
personal opinions and don't reflect the agencies as a whole because
there's some people who work in the field who are real gems, and they
understand the client, not just understand their immediate needs and
treat them with a pacifier until later when the client realizes a
permanent, yet very expensive solution, or the like. Every person is
different. As I have said, these are just some of the things that I,
myself, personally, have noticed and they don't reflect every agency or
every social worker. I’d quietly remind your counselor, not to mention
her entire staff that this is a facility, a dedicated team, that
provides vocational rehabilitation. VR accomplishes this by providing
support and services to promote the acquisition of skills and
experiential learning that will support the consumer in meeting his/her
independent living and vocational goals as well as the technology to
achieve and acquire such learning, or accommodations, not technology,
sorry. I didn't have my coffee yet. Remember, they are there to provide,
you, as a client, specific barrier removal including assistive
technology or computer training, as well as Braille, use of low-vision
devises for job related functions, and/or other blindness related skill
training as well as employment, etc., any kind of training or the
tools/technology to acquire the training or job. Provision of
rehabilitation counseling, as well as access to services and resources
to support adjustment to blindness to achieve independence is given:
This refers to the intellectual, emotional, and social adjustment to
blindness and visual impairment as well as the provision of techniques,
tools, and equipment which will enable the consumer to achieve
independent living and travel functioning. You need those lenses to be
able to do what you need to do and to function independently, use that
word. Independently. That word will make a lot of people listen. Apart
from that, I’d say tell their board staff. Provide a logical case with
fact sheets and all this to present your case saying why you need these
lenses. Make a clear case, not an emotion filled one. That isn't what
you need and that won’t get you heard at all. present your case, first,
to your counselor, and if she says no again, tell her, in plain English,
no metaphors, no if’s, ands, or buts, tell her that you’re going to go
up the chain of command because you were denied technology to allow you
to function independently. Do this with her supervisor. Tell her the
same thing. Tell her word for word. Don't change anything. Don't add
anything or remove anything. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Yes, if you have
to, contact the president. I hope that this helps you.