[nabs-l] NFB and Independence

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Thu Apr 11 15:27:08 UTC 2013

For me independence is knowing you can do it. Knowing and having had taken
the bus to school, work, new places.

My commute to school on the bus is 5 hours so we chose to have my fiance
pick me up unless he is out of town. It is a 25 min drive home vs 2.5 to
2.75 hours home on the bus. So I am not giving up independence by getting
picked up I am gaining time. Most evenings he picks me up and we go to the
gym adn we still get home earlier than if I took the bus. When he is out of
town on business which in the last couple of months happened a lot I did
take the bus both ways. I lost a lot of homework time doing that. In the
morning he drops em at the 2nd bus 2 miles from our house it takes us 3-4
min but saves me 45 minutes.

I have done the 2 or more hours each way to school and work. I walked to
school starting from first grade. I began taking the bus at 12 years old
(boy have times changed) I would take my daughter to the zoo and other
places on the bus. So I can and have done it but know chose to have time to
spend with my fiance or do homework.

What's interesting is since I am low vision I never got formal O & M so I
was never taught to listen to the traffic. So even though I was on my own
crossing streets I often felt nervous about it. I also find since I don't
use a cane asking for assistance or directions is more difficult. I always
start with "I am legally blind" or "I am visually impaired" and people
still just point or say something like over by the blue sign. Or and quite
often answer with "why don't you get glasses." Even after they point and I
repeat I can't see that they still just don't get it. I did use a cane year
ago before I got my red contacts then I would get the other end of the
comments "You're not blind"

As far as housecleaning many sighted people have housekeepers come. We do
all our regular cleaning ourselves but every so often we chose to have
someone come in to do deep cleaning not because I can't but because we
chose not to do it ourselves. Also we have yard guys come while he is at
work and I am at school. That frees up our weekends to do things we enjoy.
Plus we live in Phoenix and can't stand heat so neither one of us would go
out and do the yard from May through the end of October.

So I think being independent is knowing you can do it even if you chose not
to. I don't need to wast over 20 hours a week on teh bus to prove to myself
or anyone else that I am independent.