[nabs-l] the test accomodations

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 08:12:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

My experience thus far with community colleges is that they are indeed
smaller, but the professors are also not very used to having students
with disabilities other than mild learning ones.  (I'm trying to get
set up at one for summer classes myself, and they flip out once I
mention braille or anything to try to work things out).  You kind of
have to kick the teaching thing into overdrive a bit; I mean it's
important everywhere you go, but I think more so in community colleges
and places like that.  Try suggesting to the prof that a student
higher up in the courses of the department or something be the reader
during office hours.  This way the prof can oversee the administration
of the test, but you would get a decent reader who would know the
pronunciations.  Also, the prof could jump in if necessary.

I know universities are different from colleges, but I've found that
even in subjects where the tests are very long and drawn out the prof
will usually be willing to work with me if I just ask and tell him
what my needs are.  E.G.  My music theory and aural skills professor
will let me finish tests in his office if I need extra time.  We do a
lot of outside coordinating to make sure I get all the files I need to
do my homework and such anyway, but as long as I ask he's pretty
willing to work with me.  Just cut out the middle man and try asking
your professor if you can take the test under their supervision with
another reader in their office or somewhere else they feel would work.

Kaiti