[nabs-l] the test accomodations

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 28 20:18:38 UTC 2013

Hi Tyler,
I've worked with incompetent readers. I've tried to accommodate their poor
reading level. Some of them have mumbled to the page or speak fast so I
cannot differientiate between choice A and B. I ask them to slow down and I
lean in toward them to hear better.
Actually, its my experience that good readers do not look down at the page
but rather they sit up straight and their voice projects out and they sort
of look toward me. Its hard to describe. But their face is not in the page,
but yeah of course they are looking at it to read.
I think your suggestion of changing seats to sit
across from them is a good one.

Finally, I think you misunderstand my comments. I never said things will be
perfect and yes I have in fact made my own accomodations. A few examples.
For instance, I learn better in braille or large print if its something with
symbols.
So, I use my perkins to braille out key items to study or use my braille
note or my very old embosser on occasion.
Sometimes I don't know how to spell proper places and other nouns so i
go to that word with jaws and read it character by character.
I've often not had my accomodations met that state I get handouts in
electronic format. So I take them in paper form and scan them.

Sometimes I have articles to read that are not electronic; no online version
is available. if it is, and the professor is helpful, they send me the
links.
So in those instances, I have used readers I hired.

So, of course I do more work and work around studying and living in a
sighted world.
But when a school is  a huge community college and should make the
accomodations to test you fairly, I do have a problem. They could also have
a braille display or heaven forbid they actually do in-house brailling. What
a concept!
Having a braille display and reading it on the pc would solve this problem
since I'd be reading the words like everyone else.
Note that I've suggested getting a braille display; even a small one, a long
time ago.

They also lost their Assistive tech guy who could have done the brailling.
They are supposedly looking for a AT assistant.

Anyway, the best I can do is advocate to the dss office and speak to the
professor and hopefully work something out.

Ashley