[nabs-l] Trying to read braille

Anna Givens annajee82 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 00:07:27 UTC 2013

Hey, so I have a problem, and I am not sure it can really be solved, and I know what to do but I just thought.... Well maybe someone else has been through this:
I have tendonitis in my hand, so basically it hurts when I use it.  I am desperately trying to get my braille speed up so that I can use it in college.  Braille works a lot better than listening to speech, for me.  Since a few weeks ago I am reading 20 to 40 pages a day of braille.  This is hours of reading.  The treatment for tendonitis in your hand is to not use your hand.  Obviously, I cannot do both.  I take anti-inflammatory meds, and do hand exercises to strengthen hand, as doctor suggested, also use ice, and when I am reading I really try to relax my hand (although that seems to be difficult for me to do.  The pain is getting worse and worse.  But I don't want to stop reading. I am afraid that it is just going to get so bad I won't be able to do it.  This is very frustrating!  I don't want to give up braille, but I don't want to be in pain.  It is my decision what to do, but has anyone ever been through anything like that?  And what did you do?

Anna E Givens