[nabs-l] the use of sighted guide technique

Lucy Sirianni lucysirianni at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 9 22:31:41 UTC 2013

Hi Kelsey,

   I agree that it's fine to use sighted guide but that it would
be good to have the option of walking on your own; I'm sure you
will find this quite doable if you follow Arielle's suggestions.
I'm also wondering whether you use a cane, which can often take
the place of sighted guide?

Lucy

<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 16:12:39 -0600
>Subject: Re: [nabs-l] the use of sighted guide technique

>Hi Kelsey,

>I think it's fine to go sighted guide with someone from your
chorus if
>you want.  However, there might also be times when it is easier
to walk
>around on your own, if someone isn't available to guide you or if
you
>want to go somewhere that your companions aren't going.  Anybody
can
>show you how to find your way around the church or the
surrounding
>neighborhood, not just a mobility instructor.  The first time you
go
>there, you can simply ask to follow behind someone who is with
you, or
>a family member, without doing sighted guide.  This will help you
>identify auditory or tactile landmarks that you can use to
remember
>where things are.  You can also ask the person you are following
>give you verbal directions the first time you walk through or to
point
>out landmarks for you.  Also, it is OK to walk around the church
>without knowing exactly where you are going, and then ask people
for
>directions along the way, even people you don't know.
>Good luck and enjoy,
>Arielle

>On 8/9/13, Joseph Hudson <jhud7789 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Kelsey, I do agree Sattig guide is faster.  And it does
not take that
>> long to teach somebody how to do it I don't even matter of
seconds for
>> somebody else me and I felt very comfortable about it.  Every
once in a while
>> though you will run into that one person that doesn't feel
comfortable with
>> Linda hold their arm.  As for mobility is best that you get
somebody in your
>> family that knows what's ECUs in order to find stuff and get
them to
>> teaching that way you're not that confused or even a friend that
matter.

<piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
>> wrote:

>>> Hello,
>>> I will be joining a women's chorus very soon.  The group
practices at a
>>> church in my hometown.  They are on Friday evenings which means
my parents
>>> have to wait until rehearsal ends to go down to our camper.  My
question
>>> is this: I have always just went sighted guide with my family or
friends
>>> just because it is faster for everyone.  However, since I may
have to take
>>> the transit sometimes or go with another chorus momber, do you
think it is
>>> appropriate to use sighted guide technique with them, whether it
be the
>>> transit driver or another person in the group? Or should I
arrange for
>>> someone to show me how to get in and out of the chorch
independently? If
>>> so, if my mobility instructor cannot do it, how would a family
member go
>>> about taking over this role? I used sighted guide with my
friends in my
>>> college women's chohus, but I have a feeling that since this
group is a
>>> community group, it will be different.  What do you guwiths
think?
>>> Thanks,

info for
>>> nabs-l: