[nabs-l] JAWS and foreign languages

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 17:13:43 UTC 2013

Hi Jewel,
I took spanish in college and ran into some of the same issues.  Your french department should have instructions for setting up an international keyboard on your computer.  This will allow you to type accented characters by pressing an extra key with the letter, such as the right alt key before a vowel to create one kind of accent on it.  I do not recall specific key combinations for the different accents etc, but when you set up the international keyboard you should be able to find a list of key combinations.

Also, I was not able to find a way to set a slower speed for the Spanish voice in JAWS and so had to slow the speech down every time I changed languages.  You can set up profiles with Voiceover to do this on a mac however.  I am learning Russian and have a profile set up for the Russian voice that also slows the rate way down when I switch to that profile.  I can also switch profiles with a keystroke.  JAWS may have added this feature in the past few years though.  It has been a while since I tried to use JAWS for foreign languages.

Hope this helps.

-Greg