[nabs-l] Netflix says do not expect AD or accessibility anytime soon

The weird writer weirdwriter9891 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 21:29:40 UTC 2013

ugust 24, 2013
<http://netflixproject.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/netflix-says-dont-expect-audio-description-anytime-soon/>

    Netflix says don’t expect audio description anytime soon
    <http://netflixproject.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/netflix-says-dont-expect-audio-description-anytime-soon/>

Hi all! I’m bringing you an update that contains bad news for the blind
and the visually impaired community, but first, for the people who are
just signing up, I’ll I’ve a brief recap about what we have been doing.

In short, we have been contacting TV show distributers and producers as
well in movie companies and broadcast networks such as fox and Sony.
Things are still working out with Sony but fox has agreed to give all
future Family Guy episodes to Netflix. Unfortunately, Netflix doesn’t
want to have them… at all.

I replied with this email below. Their response to my telling them that
Fox was going to do this is below my email to them. Below is my response
to them.

*If the producers are willing to provide the needed audio description
files to you free for all future episodes then all your programming and
design team would need to do is find out how to make the audio
description available in the languages menu of the streaming player. I’m
sure this wouldn’t be hard to do, but thank you for the reply.*

And here is the reply that they have sent me when I told them that
future Family Guy episodes were going to be made to them, free, no less.
Every audio description that’s produced will be available to Netflix
dealing with the Family Guy TV show.

*Hi Robert,*

*Thank you for being a Netflix fan and for being so passionate about
making Netflix more accessible. At this point we have no immediate plans
to add audio descriptions to our service. We continuously evaluate this
and we will let you know if there’s a change, but don’t expect it to
come in the near future.*

Well, looks like its back to the drawing board. I wonder if Hulu will be
more open to adding audio description. I’ll try some other people at
Netflix. That was just only one person.

1 Comment
<http://netflixproject.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/netflix-says-dont-expect-audio-description-anytime-soon/#comments>