[nabs-l] Tablets for School

Christopher Meyer christopher.meyer007 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 11:03:41 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a tablet for use in my college classes. It would be
my first tablet so I'm looking for some advice. Tablet-owners, especially
who own their own, and have experience with iOS, Android and/or Microsoft
Windows would be best. Here's some background:

I'm a strong JAWS for Windows and VoiceOver for iOS on iPhone user.

I just purchased a MacBook Pro, so VoiceOver on the Mac will soon be another
option on the laptop side of things.

I plan to dual boot my Mac with Windows 8 and JAWS 15.

I use Dropbox and Box for file-sharing.

I own a BrailleNote Apex from HumanWare and sync it regularly with my
iPhone.

My biggest needs are:

device good for note-taking (using a wireless keyboards seems the obvious
best option).

compatibility across devices (tablet to Mac and vice versa).

Flexible screen-reader (I'm not so sold on VoiceOver that Android or Windows
are out of the running)

If people with actual experience could give me recommendations, I'm
considering: iPad Air (newest model), Nexis 7, and Windows Pro or Surface
tablets.

You can also reach me off-list (email below).

Best,

Christopher Meyer

Christopher S. Meyer

President, Indiana Association of Blind Students

Innovation to Enterprise Central Intern

B.S. Student of Public Affairs

Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)

christopher.meyer007 at gmail.com