[nabs-l] Blind Verses Legally Blind

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 6 20:17:10 UTC 2013

Hello All,

Recently it seems as though I have been getting a lot of questions from
people who ask me if I am blind or legally blind as if there is some huge
difference between these two things. Since I see these two things as being
two sides of the same coin, I have started to respond by saying that anyone
who is blind is legally blind and anyone who is legally Blind is blind as
there are really no distinctions between these two things.

it just seems to me like people who ask this question somehow believe the
more eyesight a person has the better off they are as a person even though
they may be blind. Hence, it feels as though what the person is really
asking about is how much I can still see even though I am blind. Personally,
I feel as though I should not be obligated to share such personal
information with a mere stranger I will most likely never see again.

I guess I just feel as though I am at a point in my life where I no longer
wish to describe what I can and cannot see to other people. however, I am
also not quite sure what to say when people ask me this question. I feel as
though what I can and cannot see should not really matter all that much. But
it seems as though I never really know what to say to those who believe that
it does really matter.

Do you have any thoughts or ideas about how to deal with these kinds of
questions without revealing any personal information about yourself? how do
you go about answering these kinds of questions in your own life? Any
thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Elizabeth