[nabs-l] Blind Verses Legally Blind

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Fri Dec 6 20:28:45 UTC 2013

I think there is a distinction. If I tell a professor I am legally blind
and here is what I see my accommodations are completely different than
someone who is totally blind.

 I don't think it has anything to do with being better off but just so the
person has a better understanding.

If I am trying to arrange close seats for an event and I say I am blind
then they ask why do I need close seats then. I I say I am low vision or
legally blind then they understand my need to be close.

I also find I get less shit if I say legally blind. If I say I am blind
then I get the "You're not blind" snotty comment. becasue it is quite
obvious I have a lot of useful vision.