[nabs-l] Blind Verses Legally Blind

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 20:41:00 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I think legally blind is a legal or technical definition whereas blind
is more of a sociocultural or functional definition. Anyone with
vision worse than 20/200 is legally blind regardless of the techniques
they use to accomplish tasks. Anyone who uses blindness techniques to
do things either by choice or necessity is blind. So two people with
partial sight could both be legally blind, but if one uses Braille and
the other uses print, the one who uses Braille is more likely to meet
the "blind" definition.

Arielle