[nabs-l] Is providing tutors or aids under the ADA for public colleges?

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 05:50:29 UTC 2013

Hello,
I am taking a class at my college and the Accessibility services
department insists the ADA doesn't say they need to provide an aid or
tutor for me in a language class. In my last college I had aids for all
my math and science classes. At this new college, language is just as
hard and both colleges are state colleges.
I am wondering what is the deal with one giving aid and tutoring and the
other firmly saying they don't need to?
I believe section 504 of the ADA is where all this is talked about.
This is from:
http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/section504.ada.peer.htm

"no qualified individual with a disability in the United States shall be
excluded from, denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination
under" any program or activity that either receives Federal financial
assistance"

Isn't not providing eyes for a class that is focused on pictures
discrimination? Then isn't not providing eyes for notes with pictures
discrimination?

"providing an opportunity to participate or benefit that is unequal to
that provided others,"

Despite the improper English, That means that I need to be able to be
equal with my class mates in and out of class. In order for me to be
able to ask the teacher questions, I need to be able to understand the
materiel enough to ask questions.

"providing different or separate benefits or services, unless it is
necessary to provide benefits or services that are as effective as those
provided to others."

In this case it is necessary to provide a tutor so that I am able to
completely understand lectures and complete assignments in a timely
manor that helps me understand, like the assignments are supposed to do.

"For benefits or services provided to be "equally effective," they must
afford students with disabilities an equal opportunity to obtain the
same result, gain the same benefit, or reach the same level of
achievement as other students."

Without a tutor and an aid, the class that I am in is not providing me
with enough materials for me to succeed. I must have a tutor and an aid
to both grasp what is talked about in class partly and to go over
materiel after class to bridge any gaps I miss-understood or recorded
wrong because the teacher was spelling too fast on the board.

"have the effect of defeating or impairing accomplishment of the
objectives of the education program"

I am not learning my language, so I need help!

"Examples of accommodations and modifications include modifying rules,
policies or practices; removing architectural or communication barriers;
or providing aids, services, or assistive technology."

HM, says I need an "Aid" right there... Not tutor though.

http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/section504.ada.peer.htm

If that is not the section state colleges fall under, please let me
know. Or if there are any other laws that I should know about, please
let me know. Otherwise I will send this email to my counselors and their
boss so they can see the quotes from the ADA.
Thanks,

--
Brandon Keith Biggs