[nabs-l] Some Questions About Attending College

Bridget Walker bridgetawalker13 at aol.com
Sat Dec 21 02:17:12 UTC 2013

Kari,
First I might get some heat from this but the PACmate although outdated is not vanished. I have one and just spoke to Freedom Scientific today. I will tell you I would get away from note takers all together. I mean PACmate, Braillenote, whatever.
I use portable Braille displays with apple devices and a laptop. I have an iPhone and an iPad I use to read books. I am not a fan of the learning ally app ether but, I've learned you use what you get in college.
If you can not find books on learning ally, book share, other sources I go right to the publisher for an electronic version. Just know they may ask you to buy the print book first.
In class I usually depend on my laptop, iPad, and a focus display. If I use a note taker like the PACmate or apex I have an extra step. I have to save the file to something external prior to getting it to my professor.
I love using a laptop or iPad in class because I can access blackboard or the portal in two seconds to turn in an assignment.
I can not be the one to tell you what combination works best because I did not even bring up the option to record lectures. You wouldn't even be using a note taker.
You also have the option depending on the school of asking for power points and other handouts in a digital or accessible format. I've even seen peer note takers who take notes for students and print them out for you to scan. I had thus for college algebra.
If you have an idea of what might help you ask disability services chances are  it
Is not unreasonable.
I hope this helps.
Feel free to contact me if you need any more help.
Best,
Bridget

Sent from my iPad