[nabs-l] Some Questions About Attending College

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 04:53:01 UTC 2013

Kerri,

My last year in college I used a laptop, but until then I used, and often
still prefer, a Braille notetaker. If you have the opportunity to request
one, I'd go with one of the Braille Sense products. Better you get
assistance with one now than wish you'd gotten one later when it will become
more prohibitively expensive to obtain one. I fall into the minority when it
comes to the iPad as a production tool. It's overrated, and carrying around
a Braille display plus iPad plus laptop sounds like a bit much, but of
course, to each his own.

As for journalism, I think you're going to have to prepare yourself to meet
an ever changing field. Newspapers aren't what they used to be. Writers come
a dime a dozen, so you'll have to stay on top of emerging platforms to
ensure you can stay competitive in our over-saturated information society.
Can you do it? Absolutely, but make sure the program is teaching you real
world tactics to stay ahead. Also, consider minoring in journalism and
majoring in something else if you can swing it. Media outlets will like
specialization, and if you majored in something like economics or political
science or performing arts you may find it easier to create a niche for
yourself after graduation. My friends who've gone on to become professional
writers say no one likes taking journalism majors and reteaching them how to
write in the real world, but even if writing can be taught, specialization
is more time-consuming.

Hope that helps.

Joe