[nabs-l] Braille Music

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 18:31:52 UTC 2013

Hi Terri,

I am a vocal performance masters student and also sing soprano.  I did
a similar thing to Caiti.  I wrote out scales to help myself remember.
 You need to read it every day.  That will help a lot, and get out
your Braille note taker or Braille writer, and write scales.  Do
scales of just eighth notes, quarter notes, etc.  I would also get a
book like the Braille Primmer and some other books for sight reading
practice. If you are the type of person who can set aside a half an
hour or so every day for something, I would advise that.  Otherwise
expose yourself to it by getting some music you would like to learn in
Braille.  Don't make it too hard at first.  I admit that I had to do
it this way to make myself more motivated on a daily basis.  :)

I am amazed by those who have made it through music programs without
learning music.  I tried it and utterly failed.  Now that I use
Braille music, I am doing much better.  At this point, I would
definitely encourage you to learn it because it is another tool for
you to use.

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National