[nabs-l] When NFB philosophy doesn't seem to work... advice?

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 00:00:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

I know now that'she is mentally ill in some way, but being sixteen and
only knowing her a little bit, I thought a lot of her issues were
self-esteem related to her blindness.  I also thought the personal
space issue was something her parents just didn't teach her, since I
have seen other blind people get way too close to others too.  The
funny thing was that I decided to stop trying to help her with the NFB
philosophy and positive thinking stuff after I took my AP Psychology
course and recognized some issues with her.

Sandra, you bring up an interesting point that before I didn't give a
lot of thought to.  I don't know how the various members of my family
aside from my mom have handled her calls, but my mom and I tend to do
it in a similar way.  We do not have a talking caller ID in my house,
so I don't know who is calling the house until I hear them say
something.  I'll answer very politely, then once I know it's her I
either let her talk and don't get to say much at all, or I pretend to
be my mom or sister in a way by telling her things like I'm sleeping
as I did a few nights ago.  I just talk to her like I would anyone
else calling for someone in the family who is unavailable.  It is
possible that she is seeing something in that that I am not.  That is
definitely some food for thought.

Kaiti