[nabs-l] Note taking

Ryan Silveira ryan.l.silveira at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 19:46:03 UTC 2013

What is it you are wanting to dictate?  If you want to take notes on a
lesson and would rather not type, voice memos will do just fine.  You
can listen later on and jot down notes as you see fit.  The only thing
with voice memos, as with any other recording app or separate
recording device is that you will need to get the teacher's consent
(better written than verbal, just to be on the safe side), as it is
illegal to record others without their express permission.  Using the
dictate feature on an IOS device to transcribe speech into written
text for that sort of thing would be utterly rediculous because, as
was pointed out before, Dictation will often mistype what is said,
especially if the speaker is far away and if there is any background
noise.  You'll end up getting some of the craziest notes you've ever
seen in your life.  Plus, Dictation will time out on you and you'll
have to restart it every 30 to 45 seconds, as has also been pointed
out.

If you're wanting to just dictate a quick note (a grocery list or a
note to yourself), then I would use the notes app and dictate your
quick note there.  Hope this helps.

Ryan

--
Ryan L. Silveira